Friday, December 23, 2011

On the 23rd day of Christmas

December 23:
Today's Goal: Go caroling with friends, but add other hymns that explore other aspects of the
Savior's ministry.
Reading: Doctrine and Covenants 76: 19-24

 19 And while we meditated upon these things, the Lord touched the eyes of our understandings and they were opened, and the glory of the Lord shone round about.
 20 And we beheld the glory of the Son, on the right hand of the Father, and received of his fulness;
 21 And saw the holy angels, and them who are sanctified before his throne, worshiping God, and the Lamb, who worship him forever and ever.
 22 And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
 23 For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—
 24 That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God.

 Song: I Know That My Redeemer Lives, Hymn 136


Oh, SOOOO busy! I'm sorry my blogs have been getting shorter and shorter. This week has been exhausting! I am so drained of energy I feel like I need to go to bed now, but it is only 7:35pm.

I have a few stories to tell, 
1. This story has to do with the prompt for today. Our school National Honor Society (NHS), went to a nursing home to sing Christmas carols. However we ended up singing the same "safe" not very religious Christmas songs, like Frosty the snowman, rudolf the red nose reindeer, feliz Navidad, Jingle bells, Jingle bell rock...ect. I felt really sad we couldn't sing silent night or any other songs that focused on Christ. Tomorrow I have planned to sing Christmas Carols &  make Christmas cookies with my family. And you better believe we will sing real Christmas songs that focus on Christ. Sure Rudolf the Red nose Reindeer, and Frosty are perfectly fine, but add in some songs that focus on Christ.
2.We recently did a service project for NHS. We helped out with the Toys for Tots. At first it was a little confusing as to what we had to do- but I caught on. After a while a 6 year old girl came up and asked if she could team up with me to pick out the toys, I was hesitant at first, but I let her. Then as I waited for the "ticket" from one of the waiting participants, I saw a man walk up with the green slip. He was covered in tattoos and he looked really tough, but he handed me the slip and said "can you pick out the best toys for my sweet little girl?" his eyes were filled with sincere tears, and I could tell he had gone through a great deal of struggles. As I looked at the slip I saw he had a 2 year old daughter. I asked the 6 year old girl, Nina, to help me pick out the best toys we could find. As we approached the door where we call the names and give the recipients their presents, I had this feeling that I was really helping this man. I called his name and he came up and dried his tears, he uttered a simple "thank you!" and left with a big smile. I thought of the joy those toys would bring to the little girl, and the dad. I thought about how my giving up a few hours was really helping people. I thought of the kind people who had donated the presents, and how much it would help the families receiving the gifts. That one experience has meant a lot to me. It's hard to recognize how much your time and effort given is appreciated, but this time, I knew it was worth more than I could even know.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment