Wednesday, November 23, 2011

my goal of Gratitude and Thanksgiving

Well, it is Thanksgiving again. I honestly can say that this holiday came both too slowly, and way too quickly. I spent most of my school days dreaming of plates covered in the most colorful bounties. Golden turkey, heaping stuffing, fluffy potatoes, Jiggly rainbow Jell-O, rich smooth pears, and of course velvety pumpkin pie. I imagined the fine etched glasses contradicting the simple paper plates for ease of clean up. I dreamed of the way food seems more elegant, when fed upon with soft notes of classical music floating around. I also envisioned our small family of 5 (+ 1 Buddy Bear or dog) sitting around our quaint wooden table, the thanksgiving table cloth draping over the sides, the dog begging for his share of food. But then after all  of this envisioning I think to my self that is was just New Years. I had just wished that 2011 would be a great year under the accompaniment of blue and white balloons. My friends hugging and singing "HAPPY NEW YEARS" the DJ playing a slow song, myself dancing with a nice young man from my seminary class. I had hoped that I would be able to spend 2011 in a productive way, helping people, eating better, finishing personal progress. Unfortunately I haven't really accomplished my goals. I did serve some people but not as many as I wanted to, and  I did not accomplish my healthy living either (sure, I trained and ran/walked a 5K but that was the extent of my healthy living), and I got close but did not finish personal progress.

I know your asking, Are you disappointed?  Yes and No. I am disappointed that I didn't try harder to live healthier, but I am not disappointed that I did not finish personal progress. Why? Because I realized that its called "PERSONAL PROGRESS" for a reason; not to make me feel bad that other Young Women younger and older than you have already finished, but to make you work, learn and grown at your own pace! I learned that others will do things faster than you like running or reading, or progressing in life, but that is them. YOU are YOU! Life is not meant to be a race to see who "finishes" first, its not a competition, or a game.  {Life} Personal Progress is meant for you to gain knowledge and a testimony at your own pace. If it takes you one year to finish personal progress, great. If it takes you five years to finish, great. If it takes you until your an adult to finish, great.  Personal Progress is for YOU! It does not matter how fast you finish, it only matters that you accomplished your goal of finishing. The bishop does not hand you your medallion and say "I present Molly Mormon her Young Women recognition award for finishing personal progress in one year, making her better than all the young women." No! He will say "I present Molly Mormon her Young Women recognition award for finishing personal progress" no set amount of time is mentioned just the fact that you completed it. In young women's we talked about not comparing our selves with others. I'll admit that a little while ago I was upset that I had not received my YW recognition award when others had, but after that lesson I felt at peace with myself.  We talked about how we each progress at out own pace, we all have our own struggles, and how we should not compare our selves because we all live under different circumstances.

 I have always been hard on myself, I have always compared myself to everyone. My looks, my attitude, my talents, my struggles, my circumstances, my grades.. ect. So for me the hardest thing I have had to learn is not comparing myself. I found that when  ever I compared my self I would always look at the other persons positives and my negatives. I found that I was not being grateful, I would be envious and wish I had a talent or the grades of a fellow friend. So... starting thanksgiving I will try my hardest to not judge my self, to be Thankful for what I have and who I am. I will be Grateful for my circumstances, and challenges. I will Learn to Love others for who they are. I will learn to love myself.   

I know this was a long winded set of stories that lead up to my simple goal of being Thankful! 

Here are a few of my favorite scriptures on Gratitude. 
 
Psalms 92:1
    It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High.

Alma 34:38
 38 That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.

Doctrine and Covenants 98:1 

  Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks;

 Psalms chapter 100


 Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
 Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
 Know ye that the Lord he is God: it is he that hath made us, and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.
 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
 For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations.

Alma 37:37 (Great for seminary) 
  37 Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

Doctrine and Covenants 46:32

  32 And ye must give thanks unto God in the Spirit for whatsoever blessing ye are blessed with.

 Doctrine and Covenants 78:19

19 And he who receiveth all things with thankfulness shall be made glorious; and the things of this earth shall be added unto him, even an hundred fold, yea, more.

No comments:

Post a Comment